We all remember that good old saying. A dog is a man’s best friend. Many people might speak against it, but it’s true and there’s lots of evidence to support this statement. A dog will love and protect you, your family and your home. Not only will they provide you with daily comfort and support but they will also discourage intruders from entering your home. Even if your home is invaded, a dog will stop the burglars taking valuables from your household or harming any of your family members.
But before you set up a guard dog, or in easy words, before you set up a watchdog for your home, you need to train the dog well. A large German Shepard can be just a simple and fancy party dog if it does not receive proper training. With the right amount of training, your dog can be an efficient bodyguard for you and can stand by your side all the time. These dogs can do a great work by keeping your home safe.
If you are under attack from any intruder, always remember, the dog is there to do something for you. Either, wake your neighbors up, or try to take on the attacker.
There are many different types of dogs available for you to choose as your guard dog. Here are five of the best:
- Komondor: These are a special kind of dog, whose roots go straight back to Hungary. This dog breed was initially used by the Hungarian farmers to protect their livestock from thieves and wolves. They nearly became extinct during World War II because Russians and Germans had to kill the dogs before entering houses. This is a real life example of just how protective Komondor’s can be.
- Rhodesian Ridgeback: These large dogs were originally bred to chase away large animals, and in some cases even lions, in Africa. They are extremely courageous dogs and have the potential to take on any enemy or intruder that is trying to cause harm to their owner. Like the Komodors, they were also assigned to protect livestock and later were used as guard dogs by lots of households and famous celebrities. One thing to consider before getting a Rhodesian Ridgeback is that they have a naturally aggressive attitude, and they will treat your guests like intruders too unless they are very well trained.
- German Shepherd: The German Shepherd is commonly known as “the police dog”. They are very loyal, and if trained well, they can be the perfect watchdog for you. They are a relatively new breed of dog, but when you look down at their small history, you will see it’s rich with lots of great tales of their protective qualities.
- Rottweiler: Like the dog breeds listed above, Rottweiler’s were also originally used to herd livestock. They are great to have as watchdogs because their strength and intimidating qualities make them ideal for protecting against home invaders. They are also very loyal to their owners. They are one of the largest and heaviest dog breeds on this list, with a fully grown Rottweiler weighing up to 150 pounds.
- Bull Mastiff: These dogs were used in the past to restrain poachers. Nowadays the US army forces use these dogs in various operations. Their size and power are totally overwhelming which makes them a great asset against burglars and intruders. However, they’re the most aggressive dogs on the list and require a great degree of training and socialization to ensure that they don’t attack innocent people. Experts suggest not to own these dogs unless you are completely sure that you can handle them.
There you have it. I’ve told you about the significance of using a guard dog, and I’ve shown you five of the best guard dogs you can use. Now the responsibility is totally on you to find a guard dog and train it to protect your home.